Cookie dough mooncakes!!

Sunday 8 September 2013


Hello :) Mooncake festival is round the corner so I made these healthy cookie dough mooncakes. This was my first time making mooncakes so I'm so happy they turned out well! I used a mooncake mould I bought from bakeking at haig road. It was like $4+. They have an online store so you can buy it from there too if you live in Singapore!

You guys seemed really excited when I posted this on Instagram so I'm really happy my effort is appreciated haha. These are tricky to make but worth it. However, the filling is made of chickpeas so it has a different texture from the usual lotus paste mooncake. 

Made 8 mini mooncakes for me :-) I had extra filling btw. But I don't want to reduce the measurements in case it's too little and you don't have enough filling for your mooncakes :(

Ingredients

Crust:
1/4 cup honey
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 teaspoon baking soda water (3 teaspoons water + ¼ teaspoon baking soda mixed)
2/3 cup wholewheat flour

Filling:
300g chickpeas
3 tbsp maple syrup
1/2 tsp Vanilla
About 40g Chocolate chips

Egg wash: 
Beat 1 egg + 2 tbsp water

Method

Crust:
1. Whisk honey, oil, and baking soda water until smooth.
2. Add the flour. Mix well to form a dough.
3. Knead the dough a couple times until it is completely smooth.  Cover with a cloth and set aside for at least two hours (or overnight).


Filling:
1. Blend chickpeas, vanilla and maple syrup together. Use a big blender! 
2. Stir in chocolate chips :)

Mooncakes:
1. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2. Determine how much dough can fit in your mooncake press. Divide out your crust and fillings using a kitchen scale. Mine was a 2inch mould. I divided the crust and fillings into about 20g portions. 
3. Preheat your oven to 180C.
4. Roll your crust into a ball, dust with a little flour, and then flatten into a disc.  Roll the filling into a ball and place in the centre of the crust disc.
5. Carefully, push the crust around the filling and seal it together in the middle.  I like to use my palm to "cradle" the crust while I seal it. I recommend watching a video on how to do this. If there are any holes in your crust, simply patch it up with a little extra crust. 
6. Dust the mooncake ball lightly with flour, place it in your mooncake mould and press onto the cookie sheet. Shake out the mooncake. Repeat steps 4-6 until your dough is used up.
7. Lightly brush each mooncake with egg wash. Don't over do it.
8. Bake for 5-10 minutes.  Remove from the oven, and brush again with egg wash. Let the mooncakes sit for 10 minutes.
9. Return the mooncakes to the oven and bake again until golden brown, about 18 min.
10. Remove and allow to cool. Mooncakes are best enjoyed 2-3 days after being baked.

Hope y'all have fun making mooncakes :-) Remember to set aside time to do this because if you do this with patience your mooncakes will look better than if you rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY