Healthy Calzone!

Monday 12 August 2013



Before I started eating healthy I loved the calzones from breadtalk! Well technically they're the only calzones I've ever eaten haha. Haven't had them in soo long! Anyway calzones are like inverted pizzas. The fillings are inside the dough instead of on top. Kinda like pizza pockets! 

Made these for dinner yesterday and they were sooo delicious! Though I think what pasta/pizza sauce and cheese you use makes a difference. I used organic roasted pepper pasta sauce from the brand 'naturel'. I think their basil one is nicer though! Oh and I marinated my chicken with smoked paprika before I baked it.



Ingredients
1/3 cup wholemeal flour
5 tbsp water 
1/2 tsp instand yeast
80g baked (cooked) chicken breast, shredded/chopped
2 tbsp pasta/pizza sauce 
1 slice cheese 

Method
1. Mix yeast and flour. Pour water in tbsp by tbsp. Knead to form a smooth dough. You may need less or more water depending on the flour you use so add slowly :) 
2. Let the dough rise somewhere warm for about an hour. 
3. Preheat convection oven to 180C. Roll out dough into a big circle.
4. Mix chicken and pasta sauce together. Place on one half of the dough circle. Rip up cheese and place over the chicken mixture. Fold over the dough and seal with some water. Cut some slits on top of the semi circle shaped (looks like a huge curry puff!!) dough.
5. Bake for about 15 min, cut in half and eat :-) 

P.S you can leave out the yeast but the texture will be more pie crusty and pastry-ish than bready and pizza-ish. Still delicious though ❤

P.P.S you can add herbs to the pizza dough too yum

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY