Healthy Gyudon!

Saturday 17 August 2013



Hi all! Having my exams now :( I really have to plan out time to cook. Yesterday I had a great leg work out and HIIT session. My polar watch wasn't working though. Hasn't been working lately. Figured the battery in the sensor was causing the problem so I just replaced it :) 

Anyway, I knew it was a great workout because I've been absolutely ravenous ever since. Ate so much yesterday like 1800++ calories. The most in a really long time! And even after that I was hungry. Woke up at 3 this morning cos my stomach was crying to be fed. I forced myself back to sleep but got up at 4 again because I was that hungry. I felt like puking D: (ironic hah) So then I grabbed a leftover half strawberry cheesecake questbar (ITS DEVINE) and ate that before going back to snooze-ville until 6.30+. 


Had a gula melaka avocado milkshake and a nut bar for breakfast. The shake was inspired by one I had from a hawker centre once. Yum. Gula melaka is palm sugar and like maple syrup, is healthy! I love the smell of it too ❤ Was gonna share the recipe but I don't think anyone's interested so nevermindddd. 

This morning I ate quite a bit again whoopsie. Must feed my aching leg and butt muscles :D After breakfast I had an apple and a curry puff before lunch! Curry puff was from my tuition teacher. He collects fines from students who come late (not me) and then uses the money to treat the class which is really nice of him :) 

Okay getting to the point. This was my lunch! Gyudon and failed onsen egg ^^ First time making an onsen egg don't blame me. Tearing the shell of a half cooked egg is hard. So I broke it yup. Essentially gyudon is a Japanese beef bowl. Mine is made with mirin poached lean beef and brown rice.

Ingredients 
1/2 cup water
1 tsp light soy sauce
1.5 tbsp mirin
1 tsp honey 
2 crushed garlic cloves
1/2 small onion, sliced 
100g lean beef steak, sliced as thin as possible
1 egg
3/4 cup brown rice
2 tsp chopped spring onion 
Japanese chili powder

Method
1. Boil water, soy sauce, mirin, honey and garlic cloves.
2. Turn fire to low and add onions. When onions are soft. Turn fire to high and add beef slices. When beef is cooked turn off fire.
3. Boil another pot of water right after you add in the onions to the first pot. When the water boils turn off the fire and place on a "poor conductor of heat" surface. Add in one egg (in its shell), cover pot and let the egg slowly cook for 6 min. Immediately place the egg in a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. (after that remove the shell)
3. Serve beef and onions over your brown rice. Pour some of the cooking liquid over. Sprinkle spring onions over, and top with your "onsen egg" and japanese chili powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY