Papaya Pancakes

Saturday 10 August 2013


Hello and Happy Saturday! These papaya coconut pancakes are made using only 3 ingredients: papaya, eggs and coconut flour. They are paleo, gluten free, added sugar free, dairy free and really yummy. First time cooking with papaya and I'm really pleased with how these turned out. 

When I was younger I hated papaya. The big black seeds just grossed me out! Hahaha. But recently I was curious to how it tasted and decided to eat papaya for the first time in years. 



I topped my thick stack of papaya pancakes with coconut cream and melted organic 72% dark chocolate. Also added some pieces of papaya at the side. However I must warn you that thick pancakes take FOREVER to cook. In order to cook the insides and not burn the surface you have to use extremely low heat. I must have spent like almost an hour making these T_T Some tips I have to make cooking them quicker is covering your pan with a glass cover to retain the heat and to use a toothpick to poke the surface of the pancake after it cooks. It helps the heat get into the centre of the pancake so it cooks faster. Too bad I only realised these things after I was done frying the pancakes. Meh. Oh and guess what! My new frying pans are so amazing I don't need to use oil (I still used a tsp of coconut oil to play safe though). My previous pans (although supposedly non stick) would get food stuck to them even when I used lots of oil. So these pans are amazing!

Now don't judge me for eating pancakes with a spoon. It means less washing and I didn't really care. 

Okay recipe now I'm sorry for blabbering so much.

Ingredients
1 egg
1 egg white 
1/3 cup papaya (packed) 
3 tbsp coconut flour

Method
1. Blend eggs and papaya together. Don't need to blend so much because papaya bits are nice! 
2. Stir in coconut flour. 
3. Heat up a frying pan. Turn heat to low. Dump 1 tbsp+ of pancake batter on the pan and flatten it into a pancake shape. I cooked multiple pancakes at a time since these were rather small pancakes (:
4. When the surface is firm flip the pancake and cook patiently until the insides aren't mushy anymore. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY