Waffled Vegan French Toast

Sunday 9 March 2014


I was so scared to make this. The previous time I did this, it a literally hot mess. The bread stuck to my "not so non stick" waffle maker, and I had to waste food, which sucked. But on Friday my parents bought me a new cuisinart Belgium waffle iron of amazing waffle making quality, which allowed me to create the crispest most delicious french toast ever. You can't even tell that this has no dairy or egg!! All these flavours work so well together :>


DOES IT NOT LOOK SO COOL? I was really quite fascinated when I opened the waffle iron. The first one stuck a little but but the second slice practically detached itself from the waffle iron. Which is funny because the second round, I didn't add extra oil and just used the leftover oil from the first slice! I guess Baylie just needed some warming up. I've named my Belgium waffle maker Baylie!!! 



Also some great news: questnutrition feautured my Quest Rice Krispie Treats on their website and Instagram last night! I didn't notice until Clarissa @run_wilde instamessaged me a photo of it. Turns out I was sleeping while my newsfeed was blowing up with people following me :D Thanks so much quest nutrition! I've been featured a few times lately by @spoonfuloffit for my raw lime squares, @megameows for her quest bar competition where I won 2 boxes of quest bars of my choice, and now by Quest themselves! BEYOND HAPPY. I just wish quest would try making some quest bars using vegan protein instead of whey!


Anyway I think I'll just begin with the recipe. If you don't have a waffle maker you can make this like regular french toast on a pan.

What you'll need
1/3 cup unsweetened soy/vegan milk 
1 tsp coconut flour 
1 tsp flax meal 
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
Orange zest from 1/4 orange
1/4 tsp butter extract
1/2-1 tsp olive oil, for the pan
2 slices of wholemeal bread
1 tbsp maple syrup 
Fruit

How to
1- Mix milk, coconut flour, flax meal, cinnamon, orange zest and butter extract together in a medium sized bowl, big enough for your bread. Let sit for 5-10min.
2- Grease non stick waffle iron with olive oil. And preheat. Most waffle makers should have some lights to indicate when its ready. Mine even beeps!
3- Soak bread in mixture. When waffle iron is preheated place a slice or both slices of soaked bread in to the waffle maker, depending on the size of the waffle iron. Close the waffle iron and cook for 2-3 minutes (: Your waffle maker can also tell you when its ready! 
4- Serve with maple syrup, banana, blueberries and whatever toppings you like. EAT UP!







1 comment:

  1. Looks wonderful, Sophia! Never thought of making french toast with a waffle maker lol !

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY