Why mission ABB has been aborted

Sunday 14 July 2013


So for the longest time I've been trying to get abs. But that is no longer my goal. I'm 14 and I haven't *cough* reached puberty. I can't build lots of muscle, and I can't get abs while staying healthy.

"I disagree with Mark Rippetoe on many things but one thing we agree on is that for teens, getting sixpack abs may not be the best goal.  Your teenage years are when you are growing rapidly and an attempt to be ripped and vascular will probably interfere with your ability to gain muscle mass.  The teenage body does not want to be vascular.  Many teens do not yet have the core musculature to have visible abs at reasonable bodyfat levels.  It’s unwise to drop down to crazy low bodyfat levels in an attempt to see these marathon-runner abs.  A much better plan is to keep at healthy bodyfat levels, say 8-12%, and work on getting stronger overall with a well rounded workout plan for a few years.  Thats not to say that its OK to be fat, its not!  Being obese doesn’t help you gain muscle but   Getting rid of a belly is a great goal but for a teen, getting vascular 8-pack abs like Jeff Seid is a poor goal." 


Read more on the website it's super interesting!

I always get frustrated and question myself about why I'm exercising and eating clean when I look almost the same without doing any of these things. But I've realised that <i>health isn't defined by the size of your muscles or your abs</i>. In fact some people cannot get abs. In order for them to see their abs they have to cut their body fat down to unhealthy levels. 

I should stop looking at health in a superficial way. Being healthy means you're stronger, you feel better, your skin is clearer, you fall sick less easily etc Your insides are free from chemicals and horrible things. You shouldn't try to be healthy just to look good. Looking good is just a bonus of being healthy. 

Megameows on Instagram once told me, "If you're 14, then the last thing you should be worrying about is getting abs. Enjoy being young and having fun. Eat healthy and be active, but don't focus on muscle and weight. It's not what is important. Being healthy is." 

And she is completely right. I'm comparing myself to people much older than me and everyone knows "comparison is the thief of joy". I should try to be as healthy as possible but I should also live a little. I'm sure I won't regret this when I'm older. It'll be easier for me to look good then, since I'm used to fitness and already half way to abs :-)

So every time I ask myself "Where the hell are your abs and muscles?" I have to remind myself about everything I've mentioned above. My priorities right now are not getting abs anyway. Not like I'm going to be a fitness model when I'm older lol. 

Thank you for reading xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by SWEET LEMON GREY